Get Started: 6 Steps to Setup Success
Follow these 6 steps and you’ll get your Help Scout account up and running in no time. If you'd like to get a full tour of Help Scout and all its features, attend one of our weekly live demos or take a video tour.
- By the end of step 3: You’ll be up and ready to serve customers
- By the end of step 6: Your team will be smiling and at their most productive.
The 6 steps to setup success
- Get your email into Help Scout
- Customize your Mailbox
- Collaborate with a friend
- Get organized and optimized
- Integrate your favorite apps
- What’s up, Docs?
Step 1. Get your email into Help Scout
- If you're sticking with the mailbox address we created for you using the helpscoutapp.com domain, just start giving out that email address and you're all set.
- If you're using your own custom email address, you'll need to set up forwarding or redirection from your email provider. We have guides on how to do that for many different providers — check out Get Your Email Address in to Help Scout to get started.
If you plan on setting up multiple Help Scout Mailboxes, we'd recommend you read through When to Set up a New Mailbox.
Step 2. Customize your Mailbox
Focus on the top two options for this step:
You can send your custom email from Help Scout in two ways:
Send with our servers:
- Pros: We’ll make sure your email gets successfully delivered. If you suspect a problem, our world class support team is there to help you investigate.
- Cons: You’ll need set up records at your DNS provider that alert the spam blockers of the world that we're allowed to send email on behalf of your domain to prevent your emails from landing in spam.
- Pros: No need to give us permission, you’re sending your own mail! Your emails run the least risk of landing in spam.
- Cons: If something goes wrong with sent mail, you'll need to reach out to your email provider for more help - we will not have any visibility on that side.
Step 3. Collaborate with a friend
Here’s some stuff to try:
- Add a note
- Assign a conversation to your friend, and check out your default Mailbox folders
- Change the status on a conversation to Pending or Closed, and see how that affects where the conversation goes in your folders.
- @mention your friend and check out the notification station
- Change your redirect settings on Send Reply or Add Note to find your ideal flow
- Pop in the same conversation at the same time to check out Traffic Cop
- Start a New Conversation
Step 4. Get organized and optimized
When should I use a Tag?
When should I use a Folder?
When should I use both?
How can I make all this less work?
Step 5. Integrate your favorite apps
- Chat Integrations: Bring your chat history into Help Scout so your team has all customer interactions under the same roof. We sync with Olark, SnapEngage, Chatra, and more.
- Phone: Manage voicemails from several popular providers, or connect a call center software like Aircall or TalkDesk if you need something more robust.
- CRM: Sync your sales and support efforts by connecting your CRM to Help Scout conversations. Capsule and Pipedrive are the most popular.
- Slack: Our most popular integration by far, and really in a league of it’s own. Bring incoming conversation into a Slack channel for immediate alerts, as well as customer satisfaction ratings and comments. It’s essential: Slack (We also have a similar Campfire integration that works the same way if Slack isn't your thing.)
- Ecommerce: Shopify, WooCommerce, and Magento. Get your customer’s order information connected to every Help Scout conversation. That’s what we have in store for your store.
- Custom Apps: Maybe Todd in IT hacked together some internal management system years ago, or Beth in ops found a perfect CMS solution for you a little off the beaten path. Connect with all the oddball internal systems or anything your heart desires with a Custom App: Build a Custom App.
- Requires slightly above average technical knowledge, just a heads up.