Create and Manage User Accounts
Users are members of your organization or team who have access to Help Scout. Account Owners and Administrators can create and manage all aspects of a user account. This article will cover all of the details of user accounts.
In this article
Account Owners and Administrators can add new users to your account from Manage > Users.
Click the New User button.
Enter the User's name and email address, and set the user role. Check the Send an invite email box to send an invite email for the user to complete the setup. (You may choose to come back to the user profile to send it later if you're not quite ready yet.) Click the Next Step button.
Plus and Pro plans will see the option to add the new user to any Teams that exist. Choose which Teams you'd like to add your new user to, if any, and click Next Step.
Check out more on Teams here: Create and Manage Teams
Choose the mailboxes the user should have access to. Administrators have access to all mailboxes by default. Click the Create User button to create the account.
Head to Manage > Users to see all active users. Each user shown here counts for your monthly per user billing.
You may see some icons on your user tiles, as shown in our example here. You can always hover over the icons you see to get an explanation for that specific user. These icons indicate Help Scout users that are not actively using their accounts. Keep in mind that even though they are not using the account, you will still be billed for the user.
- A red X on a user tile, seen here on Anjuan, indicates that the user has not yet been invited to Help Scout. Find the link to Send invite email in their user profile.
- A red clock icon, seen here on Benjamin, indicates that an invitation was sent to that user but they didn't accept it before it expired. Find the link to Send invite email in their user profile.
- A grey clock icon, seen here on Ron, indicates that the user has not logged in to Help Scout within the last 30 days. Hover your mouse over to see the number of days since their last login.
Below are the details of the options in the left navigation menu after you click into a user tile.
Account Owners and Administrators can manage all of a user's profile information here. This is the same profile data that the user can manage themselves. See Manage Your User Profile for more details on the fields on this page.
Shows the status of two-factor authentication for the user. Set Up Two-Factor Authentication covers the details there. Account Owners and Administrators cannot setup two-factor authentication for users.
On Standard or higher plans, shows the user's Docs API key. See the Docs API documentation for more information on using that key.
If this user has connected any apps or integrations using their credentials, they will show on this screen. Choose Revoke to disable the authentication for that app.
Shows all active login sessions for this user along with information about the device and location of their login. Find more information about that here: Session Management.
Select the Role from the dropdown menu. See User Roles and Permissions for more information.
Feature Permissions (current Plus and Pro plans only)
Default will set the permissions based on the user's role. Choose Custom to select permissions for only this user.
Choose which Mailboxes this user has permission to.
Shows the Teams (available on Plus and Pro plans) this user is a member of.
Check or uncheck notifications for the user to receive. See Manage Help Scout Notifications for more details.
Automatically Bcc any email address on every reply this user sends.
Any apps that this user has connected using OAuth and the Help Scout API will show here. This can be 3rd party app integrations or custom applications your team has built. See our Developer documentation for more on what's possible!
When you delete a user from Help Scout, you don't really have to think about these things, as they don't change:
- All previous replies and notes added to conversations remain in place.
- Reporting is not affected by the deletion.
- Workflows and/or tags that were created by that user that aren't specifically taking an action on that user will not be affected.
You do need to think about these things, as they will change:
- Active conversations assigned to the user will automatically become unassigned at the time of deletion. This may take several minutes to complete.
- Closed conversations will not become unassigned unless re-opened manually, or when a new customer response is received to the conversation.
- To assign conversations from the deleted user to another Help Scout user, run a Workflow to re-assign those before you delete the user. There is no way to do this after the user has been deleted. See Get Started With Workflows for help with Workflows.
- Any App IDs in that user's My Apps will be also be deleted. If you have built custom development that uses this user's App IDs to connect to Help Scout, it will stop working when the user is deleted. Reach out to your developers to change the authentication to a different user to avoid interruption of your custom development.
- Workflows that include an action on that user — for example, assigning conversations to that user — will become inactive. After you've deleted the user if any of those remain, when you visit the Workflows list you will see an error that says "This workflow references a user that has been deleted"
Note: Running a Workflow to reassign conversations will cause those conversations to appear in the All Channels report during this time period. See Reports: All Channels - Metric Definitions for more on that.
Steps to Delete a User
- Head to Manage > Users and click on the User you'd like to delete.
Click on the
Delete user link located at the bottom of the page.
Type DELETE in the pop-up field that appears and click the red checkmark to confirm.
Restore a Deleted User
If you deleted a user in error or you just had a change of plans, have an Administrator or your Account Owner reach out to our team with the user details and we will restore the user account for you.
Creating a new user with the same name and email address does not restore the user.
Change User Passwords
Administrators in Help Scout are unable to manually reset user passwords. You can send a password reset email from Manage > Users. Click the user tile, then click the Reset password link at the bottom of the page.
Can I deactivate a User temporarily if they will be out for a while?
There isn't a way to deactivate a user temporarily, but if you have team member who will be away for over a month, delete the user normally and send us a message when they need to be reactivated.
My user is getting an error when trying to accept the invite or trying to reset their password. What can I do?
The invite and password links in those emails are only valid for a limited time for security purposes. If the time out period has passed, coordinate with the user to let them know you're doing this, and just head back to Manage > Users and choose that user. You'll choose Re-send invite email for new users or Reset password for existing users.
For password resets, you can have the user generate it themselves as well by heading to the Recover your Help Scout password page.