Export Reporting Data
Need raw data for more analysis? You can export your reporting data on demand. Export options are available for the All Channels, Email, Company/User, and Happiness reports.
In this article
Generate an Export
Note: You must have the Reports: Export reporting data permission to follow these steps. Check out User Roles and Permissions for more help there.
Head over to the
Reports menu, then select the report you want to export. In our example, we're exporting data from the
All Channels report.
Set your date range and a view if you want, then click the Export/Print icon next to the date filter in the top right corner. Click Export.
Verify that the date range that shows in the modal window is the one you want to export. Select your preferred format (CSV or XLSX) and click the Export button.
You'll get an email at your Help Scout User email address with a link to download the report when it's ready. Click the blue Huzzah! button to dismiss the modal and just keep an eye out for that email!
Download the Export
We automatically send an email to the email address that you use to log in to Help Scout. It'll come through with a subject of Data export from Help Scout. Click on the Download button in the email to download the CSV or XLSX file. You must be logged in to Help Scout as the same user to complete the download.
Note: The email is sent when your export request has been completed and the export is available to download. Multiple report export requests are queued and processed one at a time. Large reports with a lot of data will take a longer time to process. We will notify you if we are unable to process the export. Our support team will also receive a notification and will follow up with you from there!
Your export will contain all data about each conversation included in your parameters, except the conversation thread contents and satisfaction rating comments, for resolved conversations.
Collected data such as averages, totals, and percentages, and data on still open conversations are not included in the export. You can use your favorite tools to roll up the data in the ways that suit your team best with the export.
See Other Ways to Get Your Data below for more information on custom reporting if you need to pull data that isn't included in the exports.
Note: If you're a Plus plan customer, all Custom Field values for all Inboxes appear in exported reports. The column will be entirely blank if the criteria specified for the export does not include the Inbox where those fields exist.
- Conversation #
- Assignee (referred to as owner in the API docs)
- Customer name (current customer)
- Customer email address
- Customer phone number
- Customer profile URL
- Thread count
- Created on
- Last modified
- Closed on
- Closed by
- Custom Fields and values
- First response time
- Replies sent
- Avg. Response Time
- Resolution time
- Rated user(s)
- Rating comments
The conversations included in your export vary depending on the report.
|Conversations in export
|All Conversations that had activity during the period. This includes conversations that were received, replied to, had a note added, the status changed, assignment changed, or had a workflow apply, but excludes spam and deleted conversations.
|All email conversations that were resolved during the selected time frame.
|Unique conversations from the Total Conversations metric across all Users listed in the report.
|All conversations from the Total Conversations metric for that User or Team.
|All conversations that received a rating during the selected time frame.
The times shown in XLSX exports are in UTC. Times in a CSV export will use the timezone that is set by Administrators at Manage > Company in Help Scout.
Other Ways to Get Your Data
There are a few alternative ways to pull reporting data from Help Scout in addition to the exports from the in-app reports as described above.
- You can pull most reporting metrics using the reporting endpoints in the Mailbox API.
- Note that Standard plans do not have access to the reporting endpoints.
- You can also pull any raw data and build your own custom reports with the general Mailbox API.
- Connect Zapier to pull Customers Helped, Happiness Score, Replies Sent and Handle Time for any User in your account with the User Report Search.
- Work with an integration that offers customized reporting on your Help Scout metrics. These use our API to pull in your Help Scout data, and have a variety of ways of sorting and visualizing that information. They would allow you to create more customized graphs and reporting with your Help Scout numbers out of the box. We know of a few:
- Leverage Fivetran’s integration to send your Help Scout data to the analytics tool of your choice. This is a large scale do-it-yourself project, but it can be a great option if your team already uses a business intelligence or analytics tool and you want to get your Help Scout data in there. See more details here: Connect Fivetran With Help Scout for Data Analysis.