Slack brings all your team communications into a central hub. In addition to group chat and instant messaging, Slack integrates with many of the services you use every day and posts automatic updates in a channel (similar to a room) of your choice.
The Slack integration allows you to post events from Help Scout (new conversations, customer replies, etc) instantly to the channel of your choice. You can even map different mailboxes to different channels. Each event will have a link to the conversation in question and an @mention of the person assigned when possible. Check out the snapshot below to see how it will look in action:
- If you previously installed the Help Scout <> Slack integration, you'll need to uninstall the old version before moving forward. If you're installing the integration for the first time, please skip to Step 3.
- In your Slack Workspace, head to Manage Apps and open any existing Help Scout apps (name may contain the word "legacy"). Click Remove to uninstall.
- Back in Help Scout, head to Manage > Apps > Slack and click the white Uninstall App button.
- Log in to your Help Scout account, head to Manage > Apps > Slack. Once you're there, click the blue Install App button.
- If prompted, log back in to your Slack account and then click the green Install button.
- Back in Help Scout in the integration settings, which events you'd like to post to Slack, then select a channel for each mailbox. Don't forget to click the Save button.
- Once you've saved your settings, head to the Mentions tab where you can map your Help Scout Users to their usernames in Slack. Simply toggle the Mentions Enabled button on, and start selecting your teammates' Slack usernames from the drop-down menus. Make sure to hit the Save button!
- Keep in mind that these @mentions will only trigger in Slack when a conversation is assigned to a User. If you'd prefer to be notified of new unassigned conversations, select a User from the New Conversation @mention menu so that specific individual will receive those alerts in Slack.
Not seeing your Slack channel listed? Newly created channels can take up to 2 hours to be displayed in the Channel menu(s).