Mailbox API 2.0 and Legacy API 1.0
After ending support for the legacy API on June 6, 2019, Mailbox API 1.0 was deprecated on November 20, 2019. If you still have existing integrations running on the legacy API, this guide covers all that you need to know about moving to our new Mailbox API 2.0.
In this article
What is Mailbox API 2.0?
Mailbox API 2.0 is the second generation of our API. While the upgrade to OAuth 2.0 was a major focus for this version, we also added a few other improvements to help make the API easier to navigate. To get you started with Mailbox API 2.0, here are a few highlights of the changes:
- We added user-friendly authentication for third party integrations.
- The documentation includes a breakdown of the main differences between V1 and V2.
- We doubled our rate limits.
- If a request fails, we’ll tell you why!
Check out the Mailbox API 2.0 changelog to get the full scoop on what our API team has been up to!
Mailbox API 1.0 has been shut down
If you have any custom or third party integrations still using the legacy API, they will need to be updated to use the new API. While your existing 1.0 integration may continue to work through November 20, it will not function beyond that date. The legacy API has been deprecated, which means:
- API access for existing legacy keys will be revoked and all legacy API keys will be removed from Help Scout
- Any integrations still running on the unsupported API will no longer function. This includes both custom-built and third-party integrations
- The transition service for third-party integrations will be disabled
- Our support team is not able to lend a hand with legacy Mailbox API 1.0 questions
Third-Party Integrations: In Progress
Our friends at Segment are busy working through their Mailbox API 2.0 migrations as we speak. Not to worry, this integration will continue to function as our partner works to update and launch their new code.
Third-Party Integrations: Deprecated
After keeping in contact with our third-party partners to communicate our timelines, we're afraid that the AgileCRM and Clickdesk integrations remain on the unsupported legacy API and will stop working on November 20, 2019. To submit an update request for either of these integrations, please contact the AgileCRM and ClickDesk teams directly.
What stayed the same?
Our Docs API, Webhooks, and Custom Static and Dynamic apps all use different systems behind the scenes. There were no changes made to these features as a result of the Mailbox API 1.0 sunset.
Update to Mailbox API 2.0
If you’ve built an integration using the legacy API, it will need to be updated to Mailbox API 2.0. At a high level, your migration plan should tackle two things:
- Update all API calls to use the new Mailbox 2.0 endpoints.
- Update your integration’s authentication method to use OAuth 2.0.
If you have any questions or concerns about moving to Mailbox API 2.0, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Our team is here to help make the final transition as smooth as possible.