User Availability and Maximum Chats
Beacon chat was designed with the customer experience in mind. Live chat is only presented as an option to your customers when a User is available to accept that chat. In addition to User availability settings, there are also a number of User presence detectors in place to help your team avoid missed chats.
In this article
User Availability Settings
After you've enabled chat in a Beacon, each User can set chat availability status from the Account dropdown menu in the top right corner of Help Scout. Here’s the scoop on each status:
- Available - You’re ready to accept incoming chats. You’ll appear as available to chat with customers in Beacon.
- Assign Only - You’re not ready to accept new chats, but your teammates can assign ongoing chats to you.
- Unavailable - You don’t appear in Beacon, and you cannot take on new or assigned chats. If a User is inactive or exits Help Scout, their status will automatically change to Unavailable.
We change a User's chat status to Unavailable when we detect they are no longer present in Help Scout. This will happen if:
- User has logged out of Help Scout
- All Help Scout browser tabs or windows have been closed
- User's Internet connection has been lost
- The User's computer has been put into sleep or hibernate mode
Note: If Users are set to available and a missed chat occurs because no User accepted it within 5 minutes, all Users are automatically set to Assign Only and a notice is shown on their screen. For more on missed chats, take a look at Chat Timeouts.
About Maximum Chats
- The Maximum Chat value represents total chats across all mailboxes.
- The default value is set at 3. We think 3-6 is a good number to help prevent customers from waiting, but pick a number that works for you and your team.
- 0 isn’t a supported value. If you want to turn off chat, set yourself to Unavailable.
Can chat be made available on a schedule or in accordance with Office Hours?
Can an Administrator change another User's availability settings?
Negative on both fronts. As availability relies on a User's availability and detected presence, automatic schedules or the ability for Administrator to change other User's settings are not options.